Sunday, January 11, 2009


Its Gaurav's birthday today.

These days I often think about my childhood..more specifically the two years I spent in Trishur. I really don't need to qualify that period in any other form. In my life, no other years will be called "the two years".
It could be the rain...it could be the loneliness...it could be the presence of so many mallus.
But basically everything seems to remind me of those days.
The sharp piercing cold damp air on my skin.
Smell of rotting hay and mangoes.
Irritating specks of dirt between toes and the discomfort of water filled boils on a five year old’s tender skin.
Water droplets glistening on green leaves.
Chechis filling one with awe and wonder with their pretty bangles and big girl clothes.
Chettans showing you magic tricks, scars of battles and shortcuts to heaven.
Lonely evenings when everyone decides you are not good enough for them.
Peanuts eaten out of paper cones and evening walks to the children’s park.
Loneliness..loneliness eating out your heart’s core.
Anyway that’s what I have been feeling for the last few days. Terribly lonely. Like a death instinct it drives me away from warmth and solace. I seek it.
I run away from warmth and comfort.
I seek dampness, discomfort.
Warmth gives me a headache.
And I suffer…
Unable to speak
Unable to write
Without knowing the tale
Unable to cry.

Its just an oppressive weight on my soul.
Yet one that in spite of the constant state of excitement it leaves me in, is welcome because it makes me whole…


8 comments:

Anamika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anamika said...

you know what reading this post has been like? its like taking a walk down your favourite memory lane, except that the lane is now slushy and dirty...its a beautiful piece, fresh and lively and set maddenningly lonely. the descriptions of kerala are beautiful...almost as if you were decribing it about 50 years ago-tender. i loved this one....am sure amu is growing up

and the picture fits the piece...ever so beautifully

Sonal Dhiman said...

true about the picture. struck me immediately.
relaxed is what i feel when i read the post. its not very often that i go back to a blog post n re-read it.. this might be one of the exceptions. the re-reading is for revisiting the childhood, the swings, the giggly cousins, the doting grandma, the mean mami, the 'chaarpaai', the 'chulhe waali roti'.. might be different from the culturally different setting described here,but the feelings are the same.. warm and relaxing.

But post often region-neutral amu! :P

asmita said...

I know who you are... I know, I know!!! :D

The Mind Bedouin said...

one of my friends once said.. it is great if you can make poetry out of prose... guess you just did that... :) keep it up..

The Mind Bedouin said...

oh and one more thing... why the first line? could you explain?

and ya... i think i have said this earlier .. but try n organise your thoughts a little more when you write.. :)

crumbs said...

where is amu?

Amu said...

@ Vrinda and Sonal

Thank you. this is in fact one of my older pieces. Had lost it somewhere...in the dark tunnels of my mind.

@ the Mind Bedouin

The first line? coz its poetry. without the first line there wouldn't have been the others.

@ Crumbs

Soon...!